Promoting equality and diversity is of central importance for the institutions participating in PILOT; more information about the measures in place at the participating institutions is available below.
On top of this, PILOT incorporates a range of measures designed to support equality and diversity in all forms. We will additionally respond to the specific needs of scientists within the consortium. We want to create an environment that enables excellent scientists to flourish regardless of their personal characteristics or family situation.
- Where project demands require members to work outside regular nursery opening hours, we can, in some circumstances, provide funding for childcare.
- In order to support researchers with family or caring responsibilities, we can provide funding for flexible technician/student assistant posts to guarantee project continuation during absence/part-time periods.
- We can provide flexible financial support for researchers (female or male) with children to facilitate combining work and family life, for example by funding home office equipment, student assistants, or childcare in exceptional circumstances such as sickness or nursery closure.
If you would like to know more, please contact our Equality Champion, Dunja Bruder, or the Central Coordination Team.
Further information about gender equality measures at the participating institutions:
The Gender Equality Officer in the Medical Faculty in Freiburg is Maike Busson-Spielberger
- has its own Equal Opportunity Office, led by a female full professor and supported by a scientific advisor.
- runs a mentoring program, EIRA, for women in medicine.
- has funding, managed by the Equal Opportunity Office, for student assistants (HiWi-Stellen) to support female scientists with young children.
- awards an annual prize, the Sabine von Kleist Habilitation Award (10,000 €), for the female scientist at the Faculty of Medicine with the best Habilitation
- can award bridging funding via a "Fill in the Gap" stipendium
For more information about any of these support opportunities, please contact Frau Busson-Spielberger.
The Gender Equality Officer at LMU Munich's Faculty of Medicine is Dr. Maria Delius (maria.delius (at) med.uni-muenchen.de). Details of Gender Equality Officers in other Faculties can be found here.
- LMU Munich Faculty of Medicine's mentoring program is MeCuM-Mentor.
- LMU EXTRA offers training seminars, individual advice, and networking activities for female early career researchers.
- The LMU-PLUS program includes seminars on gender and diversity competence to prevent gender-specific prejudices amongst both male and female students.
- LMU Munich has a cooperation with a service provider (pme Familienservice) to offer last-minute backup childcare, holiday care, and childcare at conferences as well as individual advice to all academic and non-academic employees to help them find childcare services adapted to their specific needs. Moreover, the LMU University Hospital has several nurseries at the Life Science Campus Großhadern-Martinsried. Additionally, LMU Munich, together with the Munich Student Union, offers childcare facilities for employees and students.
- The Dual Career Service supports the partners of newly-appointed professors and postdoctoral academics at LMU Munich from Germany and abroad. In addition, the welcome service LMU Gateway supports new international professors and postdoctoral researchers and their families in all matters related to their relocation to and integration in Munich.
The Gender Equality Officers at the RWTH Aachen Faculty of Medicine are Dr. Henrike Wolf (hewolf (at) ukaachen.de) and Iris Hoppenz (ihoppenz (at) ukaachen.de
More information about gender equality measures at RWTH Aachen can be found here.
The Gender Equality Officers at the University of Magdeburg Faculty of Medicine are Dr. Ulrike von Arnim and Dr. Anika Dirks (gleichstellung-fme (at) med.ovgu.de).
The Gender Equality Representative at the University of Würzburg Faculty of Medicine is Prof. Dr. Malgorzata Burek; the Gender Equality Office is Sibylle Brückner (Brueckner_S3 (at) ukw.de).
More information about the activities of the University Women's Representative and the support measures available at the University of Würzburg can be found here.